Police Department Application Process
- Submit a completed Town of Culpeper employment application
- Written Examination (Sworn Police Officer’ Only)
- Job Related Physical Agility Test (Sworn Police Officer’s Only)
- Oral Review Panel (Sworn Police Officer’s Only)
- Thorough Background Investigation
- Psychological Evaluation (Sworn Police Officer’s Only)
- Medical Examination
- Drug Test
Note: Those steps which are followed by the notation ‘(Sworn Police Officer only)’ will only be applicable to those candidates applying for a Sworn Police Officer position.
Length of Applicant Procedure
The overall length of the application process can take anywhere from 90 – 180 days.
Re-application Procedure & Testing Policy
- Once the Human Resource (HR) department informs applicants in writing of the testing date, failure to contact the Department about their inability to attend their test date and not showing up for the test, constitutes an applicant being declared inactive. Inactive applicants would have to re-submit an application to re-enter the selection process. If the applicant informs the Department of his/her absence in advance, the applicant may be re-scheduled at the next available date.
- If an applicant is unable to successfully pass the written test on the first attempt, the applicant is declared inactive. Inactive applicants whom do not pass the test on the first attempt may elect to re-take the written test by initiating contact with the Department within one year of taking the first written examination.
- If an applicant is unable to successfully pass the written test on the second attempt, the applicant is declared inactive and will not be considered for selection for three years, whereas then they are eligible to re-apply with the Department.